Completely revised, the 4th Edition of this authoritative reference delivers a wealth of new information that enables readers to identify, treat, and manage a full range of respiratory disorders more easily than ever. Edited and written by leaders in the field, the book covers the scientific principles of respiratory medicine; its foundations in basic anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, pathology, and immunology; and its clinical applications. It features a wealth of new chapters • coverage of new modalities in biotechnologic, genomic, and informational sciences • a new 2-color design that makes it easier and quicker to access key information • and complete references for further study.
• Master the scientific principles of respiratory medicine and its clinical applications. • Work through differential diagnosis using detailed explanations of each disease entity. • Learn new subjects in Pulmonary Medicine including Genetics, Ultrasound, and other key topics. • Grasp the Key Points in each chapter.
• Covers the hottest topics in the field, including COPD guidelines and lung reduction surgery • better pharmacological control of asthma • first-line drug therapies for cancer • interstitial lung disease • thoracoscopic surgery • ARDS ventilation guidelines c and more. • Includes 6 new chapters: Alveolar and Distal Airway Epithelial Fluid Transport • Mucus Production, Secretion, and Clearance • Pleuroscopy, Thoracoscopy, and Other Invasive Procedures • Clinical Exercise Testing • Smoking Hazards and Cessation • and Patient Education and Compliance. • Offers a fresh editorial approach with the addition of 1 new editor. • Features the work of 73 new authors, including international contributors. • Incorporates 100 new full-color illustrations for a total of more than 1,250 images.
11. Pulmonary Surfactant 12*. Alveolar and Distal Airway Epithelial Fluid Transport 13*. Mucus Production, Secretion, and Clearance 14. Monocytes, Macrophages, and Dendritic Cells of the Lung 15. Immune recognition and Responses
Section E Respiratory Pathology and Inflammation
16. General features of Respiratory Pathology 17. Inflammation, Injury, and Repair
PART II DIAGNOSIS AND EVALUATION OF RESPIRATORY DISEASE
Section F Diagnosis
18. History and Physical Examination 19. Microbiologic Diagnosis of Lower Respiratory Tract Infection 20. Radiographic Techniques 21. Nuclear Medicine Techniques 22. Bronchoscopy 23*. Pleuroscopy, Thoracoscopy, and Other Invasive Procedures
Section G Evaluation
24. Pulmonary Function Testing 25*. Clinical Exercise Testing 26. Preoperative Evaluation 27. Evaluation of Respiratory Impairment/Disability
PART III CLINICAL RESPIRATORY MEDICINE
Section H Symptoms of Respiratory Disease and their Management